Now that’s it’s officially 2011 I think it’s time I write down some of my goals for this homesteading year. I am not usually one to make resolutions or goals but I was feeling a little envious of everyone else’s posts on the subject.
1. Find a homestead and make it a home, then make it a homestead
2. Learn how to shoot a gun. Robert has been bugging me about this since we got married and we just never have gotten around to it. But I think it is important to know how to do this for myself. I want to feel comfortable using a gun for whatever the situation but most likely protecting our animals from predators.
3. Learn to make cheese. I have failed at this 3 times, there was tears, promises that I would never try again, but this is the year.
4. Thin my seedlings. I have the hardest time with this but after seeing a crammed garden last year, it’s a must.
5. Start my own sourdough yeast starter. I bake a lot of bread but haven’t ventured into sourdoughs because I wanted to master yeast first. Well I can’t say I have mastered yeast breads but I am ready for the next challenge.
6. Save more seeds or barter seeds so next year I am completely self sufficient.
7. Spend more time in God’s word as a family. Incorporating a reading into our family dinner time is my first goal.
8. Work to make our blog something really useful and special and get to know my readers.
I am sure there are more but I think this is a pretty good start.